Friday, August 05, 2005

Three full meals plus Tea break and maybe an evening snack


Dr. Hla Tun feeds me like a king or maybe a sumo wrestler. I wake up to a daunting breakfast provided by the hospital. A bowl of cornflakes, cup of coffee, cup of tea, scrabbled eggs, sausage, chicken liver (or the kitchen staff calls it chicken kidneys??) and couple pieces of buttered toast slide down my esophagus with little complaint at 8 am. Then tea time from 10:30 am to 11:30 am, Dr. Hla Tun and I scuttle back to his flat to enjoy some pastries and of course a nice cup of tea. Tick, tock, it’s suddenly 1 pm and massive plate of fried chicken with curry and rice prepared by the hospital stares me down. Snap, crackle, pop – 5 pm calls for a personally cooked Hla Tun dinner with menu showing a gigantic plate of sticky rice plus three dishes like seasoned cauliflower, tuna with onions and tomatoes, and Burmese curry chicken. By 8pm my stomach says no, but my eyes fall upon some more lovely pastries. Expect to see an Oompa-Loompa when I come back to the states.

By the way, people love their fried chicken here and they always drink soda with a straw no matter the container (bottle, glass, can, plastic bag) that holds the soda.

No comments: