Thursday, August 04, 2005

My New Home


I live a skip and a hop away from the hospital in the doctors’ flat. The flat is on hospital grounds with an additional barbed wire fence and security guard. Most of the nineteen physicians live in this compound and some travel on the weekends to their homes elsewhere to see their family. Overall it’s a nice place away from home. (The picture to the left is looking outside my window.)

For the first week I nestled into Flat 3 with a solidly furnished living room without the entertainment system, decent kitchen without the microwave, bathroom with a handheld shower hose and without shower curtains, and two fantastic bedrooms – a twin bed for my guest and full size bed for me. Yes, this is life as high life Nongoma man. Unfortunately I nested into the Guest Flat, meaning every weekend the call physician sleeps in that flat. Moreover I would need to move out each weekend.

Since each flat has two bedrooms, I moved across the hall to Dr. Hla Tun’s Flat 4, leaving behind my loneliness. Now instead of only spending feasting time with Dr. Hla Tun, we became roomies.

No comments: