Thursday, August 11, 2005

Little Burma


The Burmese do not overrun South Africa. In fact they are rare breed in these parts. The good Dr. Hla Turn mentioned that there are about 50 families and a Buddhist Temple built by the Burmese families 10 years in the suburbs of Durban. Yet somehow I have found myself learning a sizeable amount about Burma in South Africa. Dr. Hla Tun feeds me with Burmese food everyday and I had lunch with a Burmese family in Durban.
I returned the favor and served him some Vietnamese Spring Rolls ala Cuong Pham style.
Unfortunately South Africans lack Chinese restaurants and stores since most Asians are of the South descent, not East or Southeast descent. The Burmese doctors know of only one Asian grocery store and sits in one of the hidden suburbs of Durban. These men stocked up on 6 months of Asian groceries, buying nearly the entire store. I gravitated towards the hot sauces and bought me some spicy heaven to aggravate my reflux.

So a message to the Asians across the world - South Africa needs an Asian Invasion to feed the poor Burmese doctors here.

No comments: