Monday, September 05, 2005

The Kids of Ngxongwane Primary School

Look at me. I am a Vietnamese male in an almost exclusively black rural district of South Africa. Moreover little kids tend to transfix their eyes (like at the zoo) on me wherever I travel in South Africa. Not to my surprise, my unannounced appearance at the Ngxongwane Primary School caused a beautiful raucous.

Like Data from Goonies, my camera magically appeared in my hands and I became snap happy. The children enthusiastically responded within the confines of the classrooms (likely with the disapproval of their teachers). Students laughed next to their windows, ignoring the lecture and gathered at the doorways, trying to grab my camera’s attention.

The results are documented in my video entitled: “Please take my picture!” This is a rough draft for the video since I will travel down with the kids to Durban this Friday on an educational tour, providing an opportunity to accumulate more footage of uninhibited joyful kids.

No comments: