Sunday, August 21, 2005

Durban Remixed, Indian-style

I returned to the big city, Durban again. I chose to reroute my flight, but in order to do just that, my paper issued ticket required me to go to an international airport. Fortunately many of the young physicians go down to Durban every weekend to keep them connected to their past life and their families.

I hitched a ride with Dr. Mahendren Chetty, one of the Community Service physicians at Benedictine Hospital. Chetty was born in South Africa, grew up till 10 y.o. in the UK, and then returned to Joburg the rest of his years. Most of physicians in South Africa do not take time off between high school and medical school whereas Chetty went into university first before entering medical school.

Chetty, a fifth/sixth generation Indian in South Africa introduced to me the population of 1 million Indians in Durban. Indians, although a minority to the blacks, rule the economic landscape of Durban. Even though the whites during apartheid held Indians as a lesser race, the Indians now have the gated houses, the professional education, and the bling bling cars.

For lunch, I experienced the Indian delights of the Blue Lagoon restaurant – a haven for bling bling, audio blasting cars. The numerous alpha males sit with their Bunnies (chicken curry inside an emptied out loaf of bread) next to their slick little vehicles, destroying their eardrums with incredible bass sounds. They screech into the parking lot, check out each other vehicles, eat some grub, and then screech out of the parking lot. The Blue Lagoon opens 24/7 and is dedicated to mostly outdoor eats. I feasted on a massive Bunnie for only 18 rand (~$3). The Bunnie is Indian South African invention. You will not find it in India or the States.

After some shopping in the massive Gateway Shopping Mall, Jet Li entertained us in the cinema for only 30 rand ($5). Although movies come out much later in South Africa, I appreciate the cheap cinema prices. Apparently there is a free membership card that offers movies for only $2.

Later in the evening Chetty and I met with Stalin, another Nongoma Community Service physician on temporary leave in Durban to do an anaesthetics course. Many of Nongoma proclaim Stalin as the Minister of Entertainment. I definitely concur. Stalin rides a pimped up Mercedes Benz at 200 km/h between stop lights (known as robots in South Africa) and with bass system that reverberates through the spine. Stalin took us to Stones, a bar/pool house/make-shift club filled with Indians and miniature pool tables. For a midnight snack, we zoomed back to Blue Lagoon. I enjoyed half of a chili burger, before I needed to visit the porcelain gods.

Unfortunately lethal bacteria and the horrid stench old urine blanketed the restroom. This outmatched “the worst restroom in Scotland” as advertised in the movie, Trainspotting. Urine covered every inch of the floor. The stench almost caused a fire hose of vomit. The toilets had no seats. I held my breath and urinated as fast as my bladder could output. And then I ran back to my seat to recuperate.

Otherwise life as an Indian in Durban is kicking.

No comments: