Sunday, July 31, 2005

Nongoma Lodge

During the drive I inquired about my living situation for the next two months. I was told by my sources that Jabu had living arrangements set up for 30 USD a week in Nongoma. Jabu responded, “You’ll be living in the Nongoma Lodge the next two months” and she did not know of my arrangement for 30 USD. I was completely confused.

Unfortunately, the Nongoma Lodge was supposedly the only place for visitors (I found out later that was not true. The Glovers B&B is another viable place.) and would costs 45 USD a night or 2700 USD for 2 months – more expensive than living in Minneapolis.

Let’s review: $1700 for airfare, $2700 for Hotel, and $1200 for car rental, totaling $5600. That number freaked me out as I dodged cows on the road because that was beyond my bank account and current credit balance.

We puttered our way to the Lodge by 5pm. The lodge was just off the main road for Nongoma. The main road is the foci for Nongoma life. It contains the liquor store, butcher shop, post office, bank, prison, and all-purpose stores. But I had no time to leisurely peruse because I was exhausted from driving and ready to set up shop in the Lodge. I dropped off Jabu at her home and headed to my little round hut.

No comments: